Monday, December 10, 2012

DIY Snowflake

Christmas Wreath Replacement


I love the look of Christmas Wreaths on all the doors in the neighborhood as you pass by. I love looking at each house and seeing the "creations" that go up instead of wreaths. I got tired of my wreath and made this snowflake instead. Very very easy. I believe I got the idea from Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Magazine 2 years ago. They had something similar to this so I thought I'd give it a try.

If you are looking for something a little different this year from your green wreath with pinecones you may want to try this.
Supplies Needed
  • Paint Sticks
  • Large Popsicle Sticks
  • Regular Popsicle Sticks
  • White craft paint
  • Ribbon
  • Glue-Hot Glue
  • Optional-pine bows and pinecone real or fake

Step 1
Paint all of your sticks white. I watered down my paint quite a bit so it would look whitewashed and not white white. But you can do it as heavy or light handed as you would like. 

Step 2
Decide upon a pattern and lay out your sticks as you would like the snowflake to appear.

Step 3
Glue your snowflake together.

Step 4- Optional
Spray your snowflake with a glitter spray. I did this and liked it quite a bit.

Step 5
If you are using greenery and/or pinecones attach them to the back so they peed out through the holes.

Step 6
Attach the ribbon in the back so you have something to hang it with.

Step 7 Hang and enjoy. 



I had my snowflake hanging outside my door for most of the month but moved it inside to the kitchen pantry door as I had a new idea for the outside.

See more great DIY Holidays projects on the DIY Showoff blog at:
http://diyshowoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/holidaybutton.jpg

3 comments:

Melanie said...

This is really sweet, I might have to make a snowflake!

New follower!

Melanie @ keepitsimpleandfun.blogspot.com

JLHPhotography said...


Thanks for the comment .

Try it you'll love it! You can make smaller ones too with the fat and thin popsicle sticks.

Roeshel said...

It's adorable! What a clever idea! I'm including a link back in this week's holiday highlights! ;) Thanks so much for sharing your creativity!

Post a Comment