Friday, November 23, 2012

I Tried It - Black Bean Taco Soup

I know there are plenty of women out there that try new recipes, decorate their homes, do crafts with their children, sew, garden, dress themselves immaculately all in one try. Everything they touch seems to turn to gold.... easily. I'll admit there are times when things I try work out just as I hoped. But many times things don't work out well AT ALL. Its like those pins on Pinterest with a perfect example and then a not so great example, and it says "Nailed It". These are some of my favorite Pins because they are so so true.

So in an effort to both try new things and hopefully save someone a headache I'm going to try things from Pinterest, Magazines, the internet, and other blogs and let you know how I fared. Maybe it will help you as you try something similar so you can either not try it or try it with my suggestions. Or maybe you are one that turns everything to gold and will wonder why on earth I had such a hard time with such a simple task. At any rate hope you find something comical or useful. Either way. ;)

My first "I Tried It" comes from the Six Sisters web site. http://www.sixsistersstuff.com
In an effort to eat healthier meals I was looking for freezer meals to prepare in advance so I could cook them the day of without doing any food prep other then turning on the crock pot. My hope was to make several freezer meals, cook them as needed, and have dinners and leftovers for lunches. I stumbled upon their recipe for Black Bean Soup http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/search/label/Freezer%20Meals

Made a list, went to the store, followed the recipe. Two days later when I needed it I thawed it out, cooked it in the crockpot and what do you know. It was exactly as easy as it sounded. Easy ingredients, easy to prepare, cooked up perfectly. Provided dinner for 2 for 2 nights and lunch for a day. Easy. Perfect. Tasted great. Loved it. Highly recommend trying it! I didn't have sour cream or guacamole but it still tasted great. We did eat ours with Cool Ranch Doritos instead of regular chips. Thank you Six Sisters! I wrote down 3 others they are currently in my freezer waiting to be cooked.




Black Bean Taco Soup
Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef (or ground turkey works too!)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 package mild taco seasoning mix
1 (16 oz) bag frozen corn
1 (16 oz) can black beans drained and rinsed (you could use kidney beans or pinto beans)
2 (14 oz) cans stewed tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilis
Directions:
Brown meat and onion, drain. Let meat cool for a minute, then dump into a resealable gallon-sized freezer bag.
Dump the remaining ingredients into the bag, mix together, and zip bag closed.
When ready to eat, remove from freezer and thaw in fridge for 24 hours. Cook on HIGH for 1-2 hours or LOW for 2-3 1/2 hours.
Serve with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, and guacamole.

0 comments:

Post a Comment