Friday, November 30, 2012

SeaShell Wreath

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love the beach, waves, sand, sun, and shells. So when I saw a sea shell wreath for sell I really really wanted it. However when I saw the price tag I decided I didn't want it anymore. I thought that surely I could make something similar. So I did. It was fairy easy.

Supplies:

  • You'll need a foam wreath base from any craft store.
  • Seashells of your choosing. I used all white clam type shells.
  • Hot Glue Gun and Glue
  • Ribbon
  • *Paint- Optional- but see note below



Directions:
Pull out your supplies. Heat up your glue gun and pick a starting point on your wreath. Once you have placed the first shell fill in around it to cover the wreath. You can do a pattern or just place them as you go.





Helpful Tried it Hint:
*The wreath base I chose was green. Beforehand I assumed my shells would cover all of it. But where the shells don't form perfectly around the wreath because they are hard firm objects there are places in mine that you can see through to the green foam. I wish I would have thought to paint the foam white first. As I glued I did my best to cover the foam with the way I layered the shells but if it would have been painted white the inside of the wreath would not have shown through so much. See picture below. You can see into the dark parts. I need to redo it.


Final Product
Here is the final product. I really like it. It is currently hanging in my bathroom. I get comments on it from visitors all the time wondering where I bought it. I love it. Good luck if you try it. I may try another one with mini star fish or a mixture of small shells not just white.



0 comments:

Post a Comment